Hi there! My name is Gift. This academic year, 2020-2021, marks 26 years of being in the teaching field. I have brought my love of literature and writing to high school scholars in three continents. I’ve taught them all, from the highest-achieving gifted and talented students, through native speakers to English as an Additional Language students.
MY MISSION STATEMENT
What every student wants is to be inspired, to learn, and to have some fun while at school. I hope my passion for learning and imparting knowledge and understanding of the world around us will come through in this website.
I literally live by the adage: “Be EMPOWERED and EXCEL” [BEE]. I don’t encourage competition among my students but believe that each one of them has different attributes they can bring to the classroom environment and, if they can excel in doing good for themselves, then I would have made a difference to society at large. Hence I have faith in: “We ALL win when WE help each other and work TOGETHER”.
MY PUBLISHED WORKS
December 2020 saw my first publised book: Writing Elements @ High School. I have also published ebooks available in my shop on these titles:
- Best Techniques On Tackling Comprehension Questions @ High School
- Common WRITING Mistakes Made By Students @ High School
- Trust Me – Credibility
- Networking In This Day And Age
AN EXAMINER AND ONLINE ENGLISH TEACHER
Since 2001 I have worked at various capacities as an English Literature Team Leader and Examiner for Edexcel (Pearson) and OCR in the UK. I am an experienced examiner at GCSE and IGCSE – English Literature and First Language English respectively; as well as at GCE A’Level Shakespeare. I have moderated thousands of papers and currently marking IGCSE English Language and English Literature.
I have taught English and History for twelve years in the UK’s National Curriculum in Kent and London. I am now based in North Africa teaching at an international school within the SABIS Schools Network. This is a highly regarded network in FIVE continents producing outstanding graduates.
I teach High School English within the frameworks of IGCSE and GCE fused within the SABIS ethos as well as the American SAT English and Advanced Placement’s English Language and Composition, and English Literature and Composition.
I’ve only worked in education so far as an English Teacher and Head of Department. I am currently the upper High School English Coordinator at the prestigious International School of Chouiefat in Cairo.
ONLINE ENGLISH TEACHER
Just recently, I have become an ONLINE English Teacher specializing in English@High School: Teaching and Examination Preparation at IGCSE, SAT and IELTS. It is such an exciting venture and I am loving every moment of it.
I write about Assessing and Monitoring Students’ Performance (AMSP), Curriculum, Teaching, Reading and Writing; as well as Mentoring and Leadership ideas at High School.
My Teaching Qualifications & Professional Courses
I graduated with a BA in English and History and immediately embarked on my PGCE leading to Qualified Teacher Status certificate (in 2005) from the Institute of Education in London. I also hold a Masters in Education: Leadership and Management; a Diploma in Freelance Journalism from the British School of Journalism and a Diploma in Life Coaching.
Over the last three years, I have earned through self-study and attending career development courses various certificates.
SABIS In-Service Training Courses Venue: SABIS Online
- Developing Yourself And Others – November 2019
- IT Security Awareness – February 2019
- Resolving Workplace Conflict – October 2018
- Business Image – May 2018
- Respecting Workplace and Diversity) – February 2018
- Communication Skills – January 2018
PEARSON (Edexcel) In-Service Training Courses Venue: Edexcel (London)
- Inspirational Leadership – October 2019
- How To Influence – October 2019
- Effective Delegation – October 2019
- Effective Decision Making – October 2019
- Be Assertive The Right Way – October 2019
- Decision Making Excellence – May 2018
- Safe Guarding And Prevention – April 2018
- Coaching And Developing Your Teams – April 2018
- Negotiating And Influencing People – April 2018
- Making Meetings Matter – April 2018
- Manage Meeting Personalities – April 2018
- Persuasion Skills – March 2018
- Budget Like A Boss – March 2018
- Competency Iceberg Model Course – February 2018
- Giving and Receiving Feedback – February 2018
- Business Writing Skills Course – February 2018
- Team Working Excellence Course – February 2018
With all these qualifications, I strongly feel ink is in my veins and writing is the critical piece seen in all the different classes I teach.
My Teaching Perspectives
I strongly believe in the Teachers’ Standards as spelt out by the UK’s Department for Education: Essentially this means I:
- Set high expectations which inspire, motivate and challenge pupils.
- Promote good progress and outcomes by pupils.
- Demonstrate good subject and curriculum knowledge.
- Plan and teach well-structured lessons.
- Adapt teaching to respond to the strengths and needs of all pupils.
- Make accurate and productive use of assessment.
- Manage behaviour effectively to ensure a good and safe learning environment.
- Fulfil wider professional responsibilities.
In my teaching career, I want to see students being challenged while finding relevancy between the materials being taught and their own lives. I work continuously to refine and adapt my materials to reflect current events and trends with which the students are familiar with. When deciding how to present a lesson, I always try to think how I would have wanted to learn this material when I was their age and then move in that direction.
I also love engaging my students in various other extra-curricula activities, chief among which are, reading and debating.
Hobbies and Interests
I love work – learning and making mistakes, dusting myself off and correcting myself; and generally moving on with life. I love walking – averaging thirty kilometres a week.
I am also an avid reader of biographies, memoirs, travel writing and realistic literature as well as self-help books. I am currently in the throes of learning how to play a guitar and a flute – a challenge I am taking seriously.
I am a family man – married to Hilda and together we have three lovely children. My first daughter is now studying Law and our little darling just turned nine in January whilst the teenage boy is now in college.
For the past eight years, we have loved travelling and every summer we spend two months ‘gallivanting’ across the countryside of the British Isles and Europe or just staying at our holiday home in the North West of England. I then head back to North Africa for ten months of the year. Our permanent dwelling, though, is in the beautiful county of Kent – “The Garden of England”.
My Hopes and Vision
I sincerely hope that you will enjoy my website and find a few seeds of inspiration that will make a difference in your life. My intention is to amuse, inform and occasionally provoke you; for I strongly believe that:
Teaching is a very noble profession that shapes the character, caliber, and future of an individual. If the people remember me as a good teacher, that will be the biggest honour for me. [A. P. J. Abdul Kalam]
Always remember, I want you to “Be EMPOWERED and EXCEL!” Never settle for second best because you have the potential to excel.
NEED HELP? Please contact me.
Whether you are a Colleague, a Student, a Teacher, a Parent/Guardian needing help with English@ High School, please use the contact form below. I would be more than happy to assist.
Keeping In Touch
The best way to keep in touch with me is to sign up for free email updates (where you get all kinds of exclusive goodies). Please add your email below)
All the best.