A SYNONYM is a word or phrase that means exactly or nearly the same as another word or phrase in the same language.
The exercise is designed to help you prepare for the verbal and written sections of many assessment and entrance exams. By completing the exercises, you will also increase your vocabulary and reﬁne your knowledge of words.
Select the word that most nearly means the word provided.
- DUPE most nearly means . . . .
- STIGMA most nearly means . . . .
- RESIDE most nearly means . . . .
- COVETOUS most nearly means . . . .
- ABIDE most nearly means . . . .
- SHREWD most nearly means . . . .
- FETTER most nearly means . . . .
- FLAGRANT most nearly means . . . .
- MITIGATE most nearly means . . . .
- RAIL most nearly means . . . .
- RALLY most nearly means . . . .
- ABJECT most nearly means . . . .
- BESPOKE most nearly means . . . .
- DIFFIDENT most nearly means . . . .
- PROFFER most nearly means . . . .
- MORDANT most nearly means . . . .
- CHURLISH most nearly means . . . .
- ANTEDILUVIAN most nearly means . . . .
- PICAYUNE most nearly means . . . .
- B. To DUPE means to deceive or to trick.
- A. STIGMA means a mark of shame or discredit, or a stain.
- C. To RESIDE means to occupy a place as one’s home, or to dwell.
- D. COVETOUS means having an inordinate desire for wealth, or greedy.
- A. To ABIDE means to endure without yielding, or to withstand.
- C. SHREWD means marked by clever awareness, or astute.
- C. To FETTER means to hamper, or to restrain.
- B. FLAGRANT means obviously wrong or immoral; glaring means painfully obvious.
- A. MITIGATE means to make less severe or painful, or to relieve.
- A. To RAIL means to scold in harsh, abusive language.
- B. To RALLY means to arouse for action, or to muster.
- C. ABJECT means cast down in spirit, or utterly hopeless; despondent means having lost all hope.
- C. BESPOKE means custom-made; tailored also means custom- made.
- B. DIFFIDENT means shy or lacking in conﬁdence.
- D. To PROFFER means to put something forward for acceptance, or to tender.
- D. MORDANT means biting or caustic in means or speech.
- B. CHURLISH means resembling an ill-bred or vulgar person, or boorish.
- A. Antediluvian means so ancient that it could have come before the time of the ﬂood and Noah’s ark or antiquated.
- C. PICAYUNE means trivial or of little value; paltry means trivial or meager
As of old: