This is the last of THREE posts on the RESEARCH PAPER topic. The other two topics – which can be accessed here – are entitled:
- Research Paper: Brilliant Ways To Write An Excellent Paper
- Research Paper: Essential Skills On Paraphrasing, Summarising, Quoting & Plagiarism
After you have completed your assignment ALWAYS try revising and editing it, asking yourself:
QUESTION: Have I answered the question as fully as possible?
- What is my thesis/ central proposition/ main assertion?
- Did I make a clear argument or take a position about the topic?
- Did I state that position in my introduction?
- Does my introduction or opening paragraph prepare the reader for what follows?
STRUCTURE: Is my research essay clearly structured?
- Does my assignment have a clear introduction, a body and a definite conclusion?
- Does the assignment advance in logical stages?
- Are the major points connected?
- Are the relationships between points expressed clearly?
- Do the major points all relate to the topic and contribute to answering the question?
PARAGRAPHS: Are my paragraphs clearly connected and coherent?
- Does each paragraph begin with a topic sentence?
- Do the sentences flow smoothly and logically from point to point?
- Does each sentence clearly follow on from the one before?
- Does each paragraph state its case clearly and completely?
- Should there be more evidence/ detail?
- Are there adequate transitions between sentences and paragraphs?
- Are transitions varied or are they all the same kind?
- Are all examples and quotes relevant to and supportive of my answer?
- Are facts and opinions supported with examples or explanations where necessary?
- Did I leave a sense of completion for my reader(s) at the end of the paper?
EXPRESSION: Is my written expression appropriate?
- Have I used direct and clear language?
- Have I explained my ideas clearly and explicitly?
- Have I kept my audience in mind?
- Have I said all I need to say so that my reader can understand, or am I assuming they will ‘know what I mean’?
- Have I written complete, grammatically correct sentences?
- In long sentences, have I separated related ideas with commas or semicolons for easier understanding?
- Is my use of tenses correct?
REFERENCES: Have I fully referenced my sources of information?
- Have I referenced all the words, ideas and information sources I have used in my assignment?
- Have I used a consistent referencing style?
- Is there a clear distinction between my thoughts and words, and those of the author(s) I’ve read and cited?
- Are quotations properly introduced?
- Are they accurate?
- Are they formatted correctly?
- Do the quotations add evidence or provide an authoritative voice?
- Or am I letting the author(s) speak for me? Or . . .
- Would writing it in my own words be more effective?
WORD LIMIT: Have I remained within or exceeded the set word limit?
I don’t have enough words:
- Have I fully answered the question?
- Do I need to read more?
- Should I include more information or discussion?
- Have I provided enough evidence to support my argument/s?
I have too many words:
- Have I included only relevant information?
- Is there any unnecessary repetition in my assignment?
- Is my written expression as clear and concise as possible, or is it too ‘wordy’?
CORRECT ERRORS: Have I proof read and revised my assignment for errors?
- Have I checked my spelling?
- Have I read through my assignment and not just relied on a computer spell checker?
- Is all my bibliographical information correct?
- Have I used correct punctuation?
- Have I ended every sentence with the correct end stop?
PRESENTATION: Is my assignment well presented?
- Does the presentation follow any guidelines set by the English Department?
- Have I included a cover sheet/title page?
- Have I made sure my assignment is legible?
- Is it typed or written neatly?
- Have I used double-line spacing?
- Have I numbered pages and used wide margins?
UPLOADING: Have I uploaded it onto turnitin.com as required?
- Did I strive to paraphrase where necessary?
- Is my referencing (in-text citation) correct?
- Am I confident enough to upload it onto turnitin.com?
This isn’t a walk in the park dear folks. Take your time and do your best to REVISE your work before it is checked against plagiarism.
Good luck in all your endeavours.